Thoughts on the Development of 2 Pages for Design Technology Website
0) After many presentations of wire frames and sitemaps I was pretty much dedicated to making the process simple. The only two links out of the design technology world were the SMC main site and the link to admissions.
Even though I am a graduate of three universities I have never even looked at their web pages. Thus “alumni” was a low priority for me.
1) My main hope was to implement a 2 column liquid layout.
I was able to achieve that although I had to sacrifice quite a bit of time that could have been spent on other creative activities.
2) In previous classes I used a slicing technique in Photoshop to develop the web page. For this class I tried and failed to do that. Instead my approach was to cannibalize the code that was developed in class and modified it to include elements for the DT website. The principal feature I preserved was the drop down menu.
3) I spent a fair amount of time in After Effects creating an animated gif files. A fundamental part of my design was to have student work up on the site in the banner area. Also I had the idea that the content should follow the selection. Only architecture student submissions show when architecture is shown.
4) Getting everything to work just took too long and I was not able to finish up and make it nice nor do what I really wanted which is to round off the corners and make it all modern.